Sep 16, 2012

Crackdown on junk food in canteens



0

Crackdown on junk food in canteens
Crackdown on junk food in canteens

Students might have to go back to eating mummy ke haath ke paranthe in school if the Centre's ban on junk food in canteens is implemented.

Carrying that lunch box to school, the insides of which are slowly turning pale yellow, is so, so not cool - at least that's what Delhi's school kids think. And with chips, patties and plates of hot spring rolls drawing you to the school canteen, who wants to sit in class during break and eat the paranthas your mom packed for you early morning? However, if the Centre's attempt to ban junk food in school canteens is successful, the wide range of goodies available across that counter may soon become a thing of the past. Here's what the students have to say about the 'canteen stuff'...

For me, the most un-cool thing you can do is carry a lunch box to school. I would do it when I was a kid, but now that I am in senior school, I'd rather hang out with my friends in the canteen during lunch break and buy food from there; stuff like patties, chips and a soft drink.
- Sahaj Bhadwar* DPS (Mathura Road).

I like ghar ka khana, but it's embarrassing to carry a tiffin box to school. I end up eating from others' lunch boxes and from the canteen as well. So, I get the best of both. The spring rolls in my school canteen are really good; I usually eat that and get myself a juice along with that.
- Abhishek Sharma , Class XI, DPS (Dwarka).

Sometimes, it's difficult for my mom to wake up earlier than usual just to pack me some food for school, so she gives me some money instead. I buy myself something to eat from the canteen in school. On days when I'm not too hungry, I get myself a soft drink and a packet of chips, and on the rest of the days, rolls are a good option.
- Shikhar Mathur, Class X, DPS (Dwarka).

I'm not really for carrying a lunch box to school and our school canteen isn't all that great either. So I carry an apple or something from home and maybe buy myself a packet of chips or a patty from the canteen and I'm fine with just that. I can wait to eat proper khana once I get home.
- Shraddha Kochchar, Class XI, Modern School.

Our canteen guy changed recently. Earlier we used to pig out on samosas, patties and other fried stuff, but now there are healthy options available in school. We get sandwiches, boiled veggies, etc, and instead of fizzy drinks, there is juice and milk. I'm glad about this, because had we continued eating all that fried food, we'd be heading the American way as far as junk food consumption goes.
- Anuj Ahlawat, Class XII, Navy Children's School.

Lunch time favourites
Spring rolls
Chips
Patties
Samosas
Chicken rolls

Official speak
About the junk food ban, Preeti Agnihotri, official spokesperson for FSSAI (Food Safety and Standards Authority of India) said, "We have initiated this idea to ban junk food in schools in India and the AC Nielsen Company for Development of Guidelines is helping us frame the guidelines. It is due to a concern about the children's health. The process is still underway and we'll implement it once the guidelines are set. Once it's implemented, we intend monitoring it closely."

No comments:

Post a Comment